Peasemore Church History

Christian worship here in Peasemore was probably started over 900 years ago. 

The village was originally part of the parish of Chieveley, and between 1078 and 1097 Richard de Peasemore, who held the main manor, built a chapel with a cemetery in approximately 1089, which was dedicated by Osmund Bishop of Salisbury, to St.Peada. In 1104–5 it would seem that Richard desired that this should be a parish church, and he refused to pay his dues to the church of Chieveley. He was censured by the abbot, but appears to have had his way, and Peasemore has since that date been a parish.

Peasemore's Norman church, dedicated to St Peada according to ancient Peasemore tradition, was built in approximately 1090. The Church and churchyard were consecrated by the great Bishop Osmund, 8ishop of Salisbury.

The present Church of St. Barnabas was rebuilt in 1842 and consists of a chancel, south vestry, organ chamber, nave, west tower and north porch.

The walls are of hard brick with stone dressings, and the design is in the 'Decorated' style, the tower being in three stages with an embattled parapet above which rises an octagonal stone spire.